Throughout the City of Canada Bay there are many memorials, large and small, dedicated to the memory of local men and women who served our country in war.
Local Studies is custodian of two memorials to those who served in the First World War, the Drummoyne War Service Record, which records those who served from the Drummoyne area and the Lysaght Bros Roll of Honour, which records the names of workers from the Lysaght factory at Chiswick who served .
The beautiful memorial, above, pays tribute to nine soldiers from the Five Dock Methodist Church (now Five Dock Uniting Church) who did not return from the First World War. Undoubtedly it was crafted with love and compassion.
Images of some of the war memorials in the City of Canada Bay can be seen on flickr.
Recently Five Dock Uniting Church celebrated 150 years of worship.
The church has generously donated images of their activities over the years to be shared with the community through the library’s digital collection, ‘Canada Bay Connections’. Among the earliest photographs is one of the Five Dock Methodist Church (as it was then known) on Lyons Road, Five Dock.
The Five Dock Methodist Church was built in 1866 on land donated by William Wright. It was sold in 1883 to Judge Peter Faucett when a new church building was planned and later on ownership passed to Drummoyne Council. The building was demolished in 1928. Behind the church can be seen a large turpentine tree, part of the original vegetation of the area.
The church was located near the Five Dock Quarry which was filled in 1938 and later became the Five Dock RSL Bowling Club.
Five Dock Uniting Church moved to its present location in Garfield Street, Five Dock in 1891.