Monthly Archives: November 2013
Massey Park Golf Club opened for play in 1953 on reclaimed land. The nine-hole golf course was designed by Fred Ball, Concord Council Parks and Gardens Superintendent, in association with professional golfer, Lou Kelly.
Massey Park Golf Course was named after Charles Alfred Massey, Chief Health and Building Inspector, who had strongly advocated reclaiming swamp land in Concord as a measure to reduce mosquitoes and odours while creating open space for the community.
In subsequent years Massey Park Golf Club expanded to an eighteen-hole golf course with modern clubhouse facilities.
The photograph shows Fred Ball who was the first to tee off at Massey Park Golf Course in 1953.
The suburb of Russell Lea came into being one hundred years ago with the the first auction of land from the Russell Lea Estate on the 15 November 1913.
Russell Barton (1830-1916) built his house, called Russell Lea Manor, on 24 hectares of land in the late 1870s. The first sales of land were made in 1913, 1914 and 1915 with further releases of land through the 1920s. The auctioneers Hardie & Gorman promoted Russell Lea as a convenient location ‘between two trams’ – ‘The Five Dock-Abbotsford tram is one minute from the estate; the Drummoyne tram within easy walking distance’.
After the First World War Russell Lea Manor was used by the Red Cross as a Nerve Hospital. It was demolished in 1925. Some images of Russell Lea Manor can be seen on flickr.
Next year marks one hundred years since the beginning of the First World War.
Local Studies is compiling a comprehensive list of men and women from the City of Canada Bay who served during the First World War.
The list will bring together names recorded on the Concord, Drummoyne and Five Dock war memorials together with those in the Drummoyne War Service Record and on honour rolls in local churches and schools.
It is believed that more than 2000 men and women from Canada Bay served in the First World War. The list will include not only those who enlisted from the area during the First World War but those who later lived in our community.
Please contact Local Studies (using the comments link below) if you are aware of names that should be included on the list. Additional biographical details and photographs are particularly sought, to put a face to the names on the memorials.
The panel, illustrated above, is held by the City of Canada Bay Museum. Unfortunately the names of the soldiers are unknown.