Recently Five Dock Uniting Church celebrated 150 years of worship.
The church has generously donated images of their activities over the years to be shared with the community through the library’s digital collection, ‘Canada Bay Connections’. Among the earliest photographs is one of the Five Dock Methodist Church (as it was then known) on Lyons Road, Five Dock.
The Five Dock Methodist Church was built in 1866 on land donated by William Wright. It was sold in 1883 to Judge Peter Faucett when a new church building was planned and later on ownership passed to Drummoyne Council. The building was demolished in 1928. Behind the church can be seen a large turpentine tree, part of the original vegetation of the area.
The church was located near the Five Dock Quarry which was filled in 1938 and later became the Five Dock RSL Bowling Club.
Five Dock Uniting Church moved to its present location in Garfield Street, Five Dock in 1891.