Monthly Archives: January 2014
Throughout 1938, a variety of activities were organised to mark the 150th anniversary of European settlement in Australia.
Local schools participated in the Public School Children’s Festival held at the Sydney Cricket Ground in April 1938. Girls from Strathfield North Public School’s 5th class wore Sturt’s Desert Pea costumes while the boys were dressed as Lorikeets. Lorna Wright recalls the event at North Strathfield Neighbourhood Stories.
The photograph shows the Sturt’s Desert Peas practising their dance routine in the playground at Strathfield North with a flock of lorikeets (and Correys Avenue) in the background.
The Municipality of Concord Annual Report of 1918 noted that £764 had been spent on upgrading Concord Road and as a result it
‘is now in such a good state of repair that a great amount of traffic to Parramatta is diverted from the Parramatta Road along the Concord Road, via the Punt, to Parramatta; and this is particularly noticeable in respect of motor traffic, for which the bad state of the Parramatta Road between Homebush and Parramatta is mainly responsible.’
To reinforce the point, the above photograph of the improved Concord Road was included in the report.
Another ‘improvement’ to streets in 1918 was changing the name of Mangrove Street to Empire Avenue and Swamp Street to Ian Parade.