Monthly Archives: October 2016
An exciting new art installation planned for Cabarita Park will bring together stories and images of what the park means to local people.
Artists Sean Bacon and Kym Vercoe are collecting stories and images which will be projected on to fig and palm trees in the park. They are having a filming day in Cabarita Park on Saturday, 5 November 2016 from 11am to 2pm so come along and share what the park means to you.
The aerial photograph, taken in 1968, shows Cabarita Park in the centre of the image. In the foreground can be seen the AGL (Australian Gas Light Company) works at Mortlake, now redeveloped as Breakfast Point.
The City of Canada Bay Heritage Society will be hosting an open day at Yaralla on Sunday, 30 October 2016. Visitors will be able to enjoy a guided tour of the stables, dairy, squash court and gardens of the Yaralla Estate. There will also be a display of historic photographs.
The photograph, above, is from an album of photographs held by the City of Canada Bay Museum and shows one of Yaralla estate’s horse drawn vehicles in front of the stables. The photograph was taken by Samuel Spink about 1910.
Five Dock Quarry, near the corner of Great North Road and Lyons Road provided stone for building and road construction in the nineteenth century.
During the 1870s the Five Dock Quarry was operated by entrepreneur Thomas West who had interests in other quarries, brickmaking and horse racing. Although his business dealings resulted in him being twice bankrupted, Thomas West was nevertheless a highly respected member of the local community. From 1877-1887 and again in 1890-1894 he served on Five Dock Council and was Mayor in 1879-1880. For a time he lived at Fairlight house where he built stables for his race horses. In 1879 he had the misfortune of losing a hand and the sight of one eye in an explosion at Five Dock Quarry.
The Five Dock Quarry was filled in 1938 and later became the site of Five Dock RSL Bowling Club. Today, the site is yet again undergoing transformation and being redeveloped for apartments.
The photograph, showing the quarry in about 1890, is from the Mitchell Library (State Library of NSW) collection and is currently among images of the Great North Road on display at Five Dock Library until 17 October 2016. The Five Dock Methodist Church seen on the right of the photograph was undoubtedly built from blocks of stone quarried on the site.