Monthly Archives: October 2013
Completed in 1886, Meadowbank Rhodes Railway Bridge is amongst the oldest surviving colonial railway bridges in New South Wales.
It was constructed during a period of railway expansion overseen by Engineer-in-Chief John Whitton, known as the ‘father of New South Wales railways’.
The bridge was typical of late nineteenth century bridge construction using iron lattice girders and is an interesting example of a prefabricated structure. The parts were fabricated by Andrew Handyside and Company in Britain, shipped to Australia and then erected by local contractor Amos Bros. in 1886.
The bridge was an important part of the railway infrastructure which linked Sydney and Newcastle. Ultimately, the link connected northern New South Wales and Queensland railways to southern New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia. At the time the growing railway network was seen as a symbol of the emerging federation of Australia.
The bridge was decommissioned in 1980, following the completion of the John Whitton Bridge, and in April 2000 reopened as a cycle and pedestrian path.
Four historical postcards have been released by City of Canada Bay Library Service which show aspects of recreation and work along the Parramatta River.
The earliest image, above, shows the women and men, mixed pairs skiff race near Drummoyne in 1906. Other images show the Lysaght Bros. Co. wharf at Abbotsford Bay, the opening of the Concord-Cabarita Coronation Baths and Rhodes Punt.
The postcards promote the library’s digital image collection, ‘Canada Bay Connections’ and City of Canada Bay Museum. They are available free of charge from Concord Library, Five Dock Library and City of Canada Bay Museum.
Before the advent of supermarkets and shopping centres, the corner store provided for the basic shopping needs of the community.
Corner stores were often seen as not just a business but a focal point within the community. The corner store however has declined with the development of supermarkets, changing shopping hours and, more recently, convenience store outlets at service stations.
Tulley’s General Store, 92 Blackwall Point Road, Chiswick opened in 1928 and was operated by the family until the shop closed in 1987. James (Jim) Tulley, aged about 83, and his younger brother William (Bill), aged about 78, can be seen behind the counter. Another view of the store’s interior is on flickr.
While the store no longer operates, the shop’s faded signs are still visible in Blackwall Point Road today.