A factory set in sunshine
The name of Rhodes newest park, Lewis Berger Park, recalls the industrial heritage of the area.
Berger’s origins go back to 1760 in England when chemist Louis Stegenberger (later known as Lewis Berger) began manufacturing Prussian Blue. During the nineteenth century Berger paints were imported into Australia and in 1916 the company established a factory at Rhodes to supply Australian needs. The Rhodes factory produced white lead used in the production of paint at that time. After the First World War the company continued to expand. In 1932 the factory supplied some 60,000 litres of paint for the Sydney Harbour Bridge while during the Second World War it provided paint for military purposes, especially aircraft.
The opening of Lewis Berger Park will be marked by a community picnic on Saturday, 30 April 2016, 2pm-4pm. A special feature of the park will be the Berger History Trail. The Berger War Memorial which has been full restored will also be re-located in Lewis Berger Park.
The illustration, above, is from a Berger advertisement of 1938, titled ‘A factory set in sunshine’.