At Christmas many houses around the City of Canada Bay are brightly decorated as part of the celebrations, sometimes with extravagant lighting displays.
The photograph, above, was taken in 2001 and shows a man decorating his home in Reginald Street, Wareemba. It was an entry in ‘A Day in the Life of the City of Canada Bay’ photograph competition, held to celebrate the first anniversary of the City of Canada Bay.
The City of Canada Bay was formed on the 1 December 2000 through the amalgamation of Drummoyne and Concord Councils. The suburb of Canada Bay lies midpoint between the two former Council areas so the name was chosen for the new city. The first Council meeting was held on the 12 December 2000. Councillor Michael Wroblewski was elected as the first Mayor of the City of Canada Bay while Councillor Angelo Tsirekas, the current Mayor, was elected as Deputy Mayor at that meeting.
Five Dock takes its name from an unusual sandstone formation along the Parramatta River which was thought to resemble small docks. Two of the ‘docks’ were later covered by the construction of the first Gladesville Bridge in 1881.
In 1922 there was a campaign, led by local real estate agents, to change the name of Five Dock as it was considered ‘unattractive, misleading and savours of a dock and shipping centre’ and a better name would ‘enhance property values’. One suggestion for a new name was Wareemba, the Aboriginal name for Drummoyne Bay or Drummoyne Peninsula which means where sweet (or fresh) water meets salt water.
There was an equally strong campaign to retain the name. A concert to keep the name was organised and a song ‘Five Dock will be there’ was composed for the occasion.
At a Council poll on 22 December 1922 the vote was in favour of keeping the name Five Dock. Wareemba was later used as the name for the subdivision between Five Dock and Abbotsford.
The photograph shows the remaining rock formation at Howley Park, Drummoyne.