According to the Sydney Tramway Museum these shelters were called ‘Waiting Rooms’ or ‘Waiting Sheds’. The one at Abbotsford was erected on 21 July 1911.
The Abbotsford line opened as a steam tramway and was the last of the western suburbs tramways to be electrified. The fully electrified tramway opened on Sunday, 16 April 1905. The first electric tram to Abbotsford was N class car 647 which completed a trial trip a few days before the opening. Services were provided by the Rozelle Tram Depot and an improved service, running every twenty minutes, replaced the steam service.
Now serving as a bus shelter, it has recently been fully restored, ensuring it will continue to provide shelter for many years to come.
An exhibition at Five Dock Library highlights the changes along the Great North Road over more than a century.
The Great North Road was built using convict labour between 1826 and 1836 and extended 240 kilometres north from Sydney to the Hunter Valley. For its time, the road was a significant engineering achievement and today a section has World Heritage listing.
The Five Dock to Abbotsford section of the road is the only section still retaining the original name, ’Great North Road’.
The land either side of the Great North Road was originally all part of one large land grant to Surgeon John Harris in 1792 and known as Five Dock Farm. In 1837 the land was subdivided into smaller lots by auctioneer Samuel Lyons. The area remained largely semi-rural until the introduction of a tram service in the 1890s promoted further subdivision of the area for housing.
The photograph shows a tram near the Abbotsford terminus in the 1890s. One imagines the well-dressed crowd may well have been spectators at one of the many rowing contests along the Parramatta River in that period.
The display continues at Five Dock Library until the end of 17 October 2016. There’s an album of the images on the library’s flickr page.
Great North Road, Five Dock looked quite different in 1916, when this photograph was taken, than it does today.
The photograph appeared on a real estate poster published for Arthur Rickard & Co to promote the release of land at Dobroyd Point, Haberfield and the Fairlight Extension at Five Dock.
Descriptive notes on the reverse of the poster state that ‘Fifteen years ago a steam tram at Marion Street, Leichhardt picked up passengers for Five Dock and Abbotsford, and ran hourly (later half-hourly) trips. From Leichhardt to Five Dock the land was known as Ramsay’s Bush and almost uninhabited…. Now there are nearly a thousand beautiful cottages, and there is a service of electric trams at intervals of 10 minutes for most of the day, and of 3 to 5 minutes in busy times.’ Present-day commuters can only envy such service.