Over recent months the library has been recording memorabilia held by the City of Canada Bay.
Memorabilia such as certificates and trophies provide a record of the activities and achievements of Council and staff. Details and, where possible, images of the memorabilia have been added to the library’s catalogue, making them easily accessible to the community and researchers.
The photograph, above, shows nineteenth century seal presses held in the Local Studies collection. These were used by City of Canada Bay’s predecessor Councils, the Municipality of Concord (rear), Municipal District of Five Dock (centre) and Municipality of Drummoyne (front). A seal press was used to add Council’s seal to official documents.
Below is the Municipal District of Five Dock seal which incorporates the ‘five docks’ of Council’s namesake. Five Dock takes its name from an unusual sandstone formation along the Parramatta River near Howley Park which was thought to resemble small docks. Two of the ‘docks’ were later covered by the construction of the first Gladesville Bridge in 1881. Interestingly, the seal also depicts trees which are presumably the same ones that can be seen at Howley Park today.
Five Dock takes its name from an unusual sandstone formation along the Parramatta River which was thought to resemble small docks. Two of the ‘docks’ were later covered by the construction of the first Gladesville Bridge in 1881.
In 1922 there was a campaign, led by local real estate agents, to change the name of Five Dock as it was considered ‘unattractive, misleading and savours of a dock and shipping centre’ and a better name would ‘enhance property values’. One suggestion for a new name was Wareemba, the Aboriginal name for Drummoyne Bay or Drummoyne Peninsula which means where sweet (or fresh) water meets salt water.
There was an equally strong campaign to retain the name. A concert to keep the name was organised and a song ‘Five Dock will be there’ was composed for the occasion.
At a Council poll on 22 December 1922 the vote was in favour of keeping the name Five Dock. Wareemba was later used as the name for the subdivision between Five Dock and Abbotsford.
The photograph shows the remaining rock formation at Howley Park, Drummoyne.