The Concord Golf Club can trace its history back more than 120 years.
It began as the Sydney Golf Club in 1893 and established a course on the ‘home paddock’ of Eadith Walker’s Yaralla estate, at the corner of The Drive and Concord Road, Concord West. This site was abandoned in 1898 but in the following year the Concord Golf Club was formed and a course established on the western side of the railway line, extending to Homebush Bay.
In 1905 Concord and Strathfield Golf Clubs combined to form the Concord Golf Links Limited with the purpose of purchasing 46 hectares, known as the Police Paddock from the Estate of the late Thomas Walker. This, together with 12 hectares leased from Eadith Walker, formed the nucleus of the present Concord Golf Course.
The photograph shows members of the Strathfield Golf Club in 1898, playing at the original Yaralla course. The Lodge at the entrance to the estate, which can be seen in the background, was used as a club house. Thomas Frizell, seated at the far left, and Alex Orr, standing at the far right, both served as club presidents.
Massey Park Golf Club opened for play in 1953 on reclaimed land. The nine-hole golf course was designed by Fred Ball, Concord Council Parks and Gardens Superintendent, in association with professional golfer, Lou Kelly.
Massey Park Golf Course was named after Charles Alfred Massey, Chief Health and Building Inspector, who had strongly advocated reclaiming swamp land in Concord as a measure to reduce mosquitoes and odours while creating open space for the community.
In subsequent years Massey Park Golf Club expanded to an eighteen-hole golf course with modern clubhouse facilities.
The photograph shows Fred Ball who was the first to tee off at Massey Park Golf Course in 1953.