Fairlight is one of many early homes in the Canada Bay area which are now largely forgotten.
The history of Fairlight is somewhat sketchy but it was built about 1840. In 1843 it was offered at moderate rent in The Sydney Morning Herald, as the ‘late residence of F. Kemble Esq., consisting of a family mansion, with coach house, stabling &c, &c, together with twenty-nine acres [11.7 hectares] of cleared and cultivated garden land – and four assigned servants’.
Later residents included Captain William Willson and William Salmon Deloitte (1796-1870), shipping master and merchant. One of Deloitte’s sons was Quarton Levitt (known as ‘Q.L.’) who was one of the founders of the Sydney Rowing Club.
The house was demolished about 1910 when the estate was first subdivided. It was located in the vicinity of where Fairlight Street, Five Dock is today.