The Drummoyne Volunteer Fire Brigade had modest beginnings in 1892. It occupied rented premises (basically a wooden shed) on Cambridge Street which was later renamed Bridge Street and today forms part of Victoria Road. There were five volunteer members and one hand pulled hose reel.
The first fire which the brigade responded to was on the 12th December 1892, when a weatherboard summer house in Lyons Road burned down as a result of ‘children playing with matches’.
In 1896 the brigade was able to purchase the Cambridge Street site and built a small brick station. In 1898 a horse drawn manual engine was acquired, as shown in the photograph above.
The present station on Lyons Road, Drummoyne was completed and occupied on 30th June 1910.