Today it’s hard to believe that Canada Bay was once a rural district with market gardens and dairies.
There were several dairies in Concord, North Strathfield, Five Dock and Drummoyne from the 1890s through until the 1940s. Generally they appear to have been family operated dairies with a small herd of cows. Although the Yaralla Estate had a notable herd of prize winning Jersey cows.
Livestock was sometimes a problem as urban growth increased. The Concord Council Annual Report of 1918 noted that 216 head of stock had been impounded during the previous twelve months and there were 18 prosecutions for cattle straying.
The photograph shows a dairy in Renwick Street, Drummoyne about 1900.