Ronald Frederick Feilberg (1917-1944) was a Drummoyne Council Officer from March 1932 until January 1942 when he enlisted in the RAAF. On the night of 21/22 December 1944 Flight Officer Feilberg was the pilot on a Halifax which was shot down over Belgium. Feilberg Place, Abbotsford is named in his memory. Canada Bay Connections includes other photographs of men and women who served during World War II, most notably the St Luke’s Honour Book of those who served in World War II.
This was the 2000th image to be added to Canada Bay Connections. Currently, there are over 4400 images.
The Library welcomes the loan of photographs of local service personnel to be digitised and added to Canada Bay Connections. This puts a face to the names on the war memorials.
Russell Lea Manor, also known as Russell Lea House, was the home of Russell Barton (1830-1916), and was situated north of Lyons Road between Sibbick Street and Lyons Road.
The house was built between 1878 and 1882. Between 1918 and 1923 it was used by the Red Cross as a Nerve Hospital for soldiers before being demolished in 1925.
The painting by Val Delawarr shows Russell Lea in its heyday in the 1880s when the area was still semi-rural.
The suburb of Russell Lea takes its name from this grand home. More images can be seen on flickr.
The late nineteenth century and early twentieth centuries saw a rapid expansion of tram services to meet the growing need for urban transportation.
In turn the tramlines helped to transform semi rural areas into suburbs.
By the 1920s Sydney had one of the world’s largest tramway networks which carried well over a million passengers each weekday.
The photograph shows an O-class tram on a trial journey to Cabarita prior to the introduction of a regular electric service in February 1912.
Do you have memories of trams in our area?