Rhodes takes its name from the house built in 1823 for Thomas Walker (1791-1861) and his wife, Anna Elizabeth Blaxland. Rhodes House overlooked the Parramatta River near the northern end of Blaxland Road. It was named after his mother’s ancestral estate in Yorkshire. In 1832, Walker retired and went to live in Tasmania and the house was leased. Anna Walker returned to New South Wales with her family to live at Rhodes House in 1870. After Anna’s death in 1889, three of her daughters continued to live at Rhodes. One daughter, Anna Frances Walker, established a reputation as a painter of native flora.
Walker’s Estate at Rhodes was first subdivided in September 1895 with a further subdivision being made in 1910. Three streets in Rhodes commemorate the family’s association with the area: Walker Street, Blaxland Road, and Marquet Street, named after Anna’s brother, John de Marquet Blaxland. Rhodes House is believed to have been demolished in about 1918 to make way for John Darling & Son flour mill. It later became the site of Allied Feed Mills Pty Ltd which has now been redeveloped as a residential area.