Blog Archives

Abbotsford 12 Foot Sailing Club

000106

Five Dock Library is celebrating summer with a display of historical photographs and memorabilia of the Abbotsford 12 Foot Flying Squadron.

The club was formed at a meeting held at the Cabarita Park Kiosk on 6 January 1936 and was at first known as the Concord 12 Foot Flying Squadron. The search for a permananent home took a number of years and hard work by club members. Eventually the club was able to secure a site at Werrell Reserve, Abbotsford. Club members not only raised the money for a clubhouse but built it themselves, from excavating and sinking piers to pouring concrete to constructing the wall frames, flooring and roof.

The Abbotsford 12 foot Flying Squadron clubhouse is shown above on opening day, 4 September 1954.

The display will continue at Five Dock Library until the end of January 2014.