Along the Great North Road
An exhibition at Five Dock Library highlights the changes along the Great North Road over more than a century.
The Great North Road was built using convict labour between 1826 and 1836 and extended 240 kilometres north from Sydney to the Hunter Valley. For its time, the road was a significant engineering achievement and today a section has World Heritage listing.
The Five Dock to Abbotsford section of the road is the only section still retaining the original name, ’Great North Road’.
The land either side of the Great North Road was originally all part of one large land grant to Surgeon John Harris in 1792 and known as Five Dock Farm. In 1837 the land was subdivided into smaller lots by auctioneer Samuel Lyons. The area remained largely semi-rural until the introduction of a tram service in the 1890s promoted further subdivision of the area for housing.
The photograph shows a tram near the Abbotsford terminus in the 1890s. One imagines the well-dressed crowd may well have been spectators at one of the many rowing contests along the Parramatta River in that period.
The display continues at Five Dock Library until the end of 17 October 2016. There’s an album of the images on the library’s flickr page.
Posted on September 9, 2016, in Abbotsford, Five Dock and tagged Abbotsford, Canada bay Connections, City of Canada Bay, Five Dock, Great North Road, Trams, Tramways. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.