Cabarita Park has continued to evolve over a period of some 135 years since it was dedicated as a ‘Reserve for Public Recreation and Access to Wharf’ in 1880.
In the early days it was an important vantage point for rowing races held on the Parramatta River which was promoted by the extension of the tram service to Cabarita in 1907. Over the years extensive plantings of trees and gardens together with facilities such as the Federation Pavilion and Concord-Cabarita Coronation Baths combined to make Cabarita Park an important recreational area.
The process of change and development continues with ‘The Conservatory’, an exceptional arts and cultural facility which will be completed next year.
The photograph, above, which shows Cabarita Park in 1923 was recently donated to Canada Bay Connections.