The 72 steps
Cut into solid rock, the Chiswick Steps originally led to a wharf which was serviced by ferries plying the Parramatta River. There was a ferry service to Chiswick from 1905 until 1928 when it was superseded with the introduction of a bus service.
In 1914 when the Tulley family moved to Blackwall Point Road there were only about twelve houses at Chiswick. The Tulley’s operated a general store at Chiswick from 1928 until 1987. The Tulley Brothers, Jim and Bill, recalled having furniture delivered by the ferry and the difficulties experienced in getting it to their home via the 72 Chiswick steps.
The wharf was damaged by fire in the 1940s and finally removed in 1958. Of the original 72 steps, only 62 remain today. The aerial photograph of the Chiswick Steps was taken in about 1980.