Concord Repatriation General Hospital
The history and achievements of the Concord Repatriation General Hospital are celebrated in a new display at the City of Canada Bay Museum.
Concord Repatriation General Hospital was completed in 1942 to meet the needs of sick and injured servicemen and women who served our country in the Second World War. Originally it was known as 113 Australian General Hospital. The building was designed by architects Stephenson and Turner and has touches of art deco. At the time it was awarded the Sulman Memorial Prize for Architecture and, more than seventy years later, the building has stood the test of time.
After the end of the war the hospital continued to provide services to returned service persons and has expanded its role to meet the needs of the community of Sydney and, indeed, New South Wales.
The display on the Concord Repatriation General Hospital can be seen at the City of Canada Bay Museum until the end of June 2015. There will be a talk by Alice Kang at the museum on Saturday, 7 March 2015 at 1.30pm. Alice has been closely involved with the hospital for some 40 years.
The image, above, shows the original architect’s model for the hospital.
Posted on February 4, 2015, in Concord, Concord West and tagged 113 Australian General Hospital, Canada bay Connections, City of Canada Bay, Concord, Concord Repatriation General Hospital, Concord West, hospitals. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.