A social game
Recently Local Studies received a donation of the minute book of the Drummoyne District Tennis Club covering the years 1933 to 1965.
The minute book provides a glimpse into the social life of the times. Besides tennis, the club had an active social committee which organised card nights at the homes of members, evenings at the ‘pictures’ and dances at the ‘Cairo’ (a dance hall on Victoria Road, Drummoyne). A Chairman of the club, Ronald Thomas Clyde Storey, was later Mayor of Drummoyne.
The Drummoyne District Tennis Club’s courts were on the corner of Gipps and Polding Streets which the club rented. In 1965 the lease ended and the club ceased when it was unable to find a new location. A block of flats has since been built on the site.
The photograph, above, is of an earlier Drummoyne Tennis Club taken in about 1910 by local photographer, Bessie Selfe.