A royal visit
The Royal Visit of 1954 attracted enormous crowds eager to catch a glimpse of the recently crowned Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip.
When the royal couple visited Concord on 5 Februaury 1954 an estimated one million people lined Parramatta Road between Broadway and Concord.
At Concord Park, in honour of the occasion, Concord Council had constructed a walled garden which was specially decorated on the day with 600 red and yellow gladioli. On arrival at the park, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip changed from the stately Daimler landaulette to a Land Rover which then moved between cheering crowds of school children. Over 30, 000 students had been bussed in to the park from 37 western suburbs schools. Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip were then whisked away to Concord Repatriation General Hospital.
Concord Park was renamed Queen Elizabeth Park in 1957 in honour of the special occasion in 1954 when Concord had royal visitors.