Golf at Massey Park
Massey Park Golf Club opened for play in 1953 on reclaimed land. The nine-hole golf course was designed by Fred Ball, Concord Council Parks and Gardens Superintendent, in association with professional golfer, Lou Kelly.
Massey Park Golf Course was named after Charles Alfred Massey, Chief Health and Building Inspector, who had strongly advocated reclaiming swamp land in Concord as a measure to reduce mosquitoes and odours while creating open space for the community.
In subsequent years Massey Park Golf Club expanded to an eighteen-hole golf course with modern clubhouse facilities.
The photograph shows Fred Ball who was the first to tee off at Massey Park Golf Course in 1953.