Russell Lea turns 100
The suburb of Russell Lea came into being one hundred years ago with the the first auction of land from the Russell Lea Estate on the 15 November 1913.
Russell Barton (1830-1916) built his house, called Russell Lea Manor, on 24 hectares of land in the late 1870s. The first sales of land were made in 1913, 1914 and 1915 with further releases of land through the 1920s. The auctioneers Hardie & Gorman promoted Russell Lea as a convenient location ‘between two trams’ – ‘The Five Dock-Abbotsford tram is one minute from the estate; the Drummoyne tram within easy walking distance’.
After the First World War Russell Lea Manor was used by the Red Cross as a Nerve Hospital. It was demolished in 1925. Some images of Russell Lea Manor can be seen on flickr.