Meadowbank Rhodes Railway Bridge
Completed in 1886, Meadowbank Rhodes Railway Bridge is amongst the oldest surviving colonial railway bridges in New South Wales.
It was constructed during a period of railway expansion overseen by Engineer-in-Chief John Whitton, known as the ‘father of New South Wales railways’.
The bridge was typical of late nineteenth century bridge construction using iron lattice girders and is an interesting example of a prefabricated structure. The parts were fabricated by Andrew Handyside and Company in Britain, shipped to Australia and then erected by local contractor Amos Bros. in 1886.
The bridge was an important part of the railway infrastructure which linked Sydney and Newcastle. Ultimately, the link connected northern New South Wales and Queensland railways to southern New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia. At the time the growing railway network was seen as a symbol of the emerging federation of Australia.
The bridge was decommissioned in 1980, following the completion of the John Whitton Bridge, and in April 2000 reopened as a cycle and pedestrian path.