The corner store
Before the advent of supermarkets and shopping centres, the corner store provided for the basic shopping needs of the community.
Corner stores were often seen as not just a business but a focal point within the community. The corner store however has declined with the development of supermarkets, changing shopping hours and, more recently, convenience store outlets at service stations.
Tulley’s General Store, 92 Blackwall Point Road, Chiswick opened in 1928 and was operated by the family until the shop closed in 1987. James (Jim) Tulley, aged about 83, and his younger brother William (Bill), aged about 78, can be seen behind the counter. Another view of the store’s interior is on flickr.
While the store no longer operates, the shop’s faded signs are still visible in Blackwall Point Road today.