A tradition of care
Ardill House at North Strathfield, which provides long day care services, has a tradition of caring for children.
Colonial architect John Bibb designed the house, then known as Clermont, for Henry Bray in 1861. Bray served as an Alderman on Concord Council and was Mayor in 1890-1891. It was later owned by F. K. Olliver who donated the house to the Society for Providing Homes for Neglected Children in 1918. This non-denominational Christian charity was founded in 1887 by George Edward Ardill to provide a refuge for vulnerable children. The house was known for a time as Olliver House, then later Our Children’s Home.
The home was noted for its dedicated staff. Louisa Horner (later Skinner) was associated with Our Children’s Home for more than 50 years. Matron Gladys Holt joined the staff in 1934 and devoted her entire working life to the care of the children. Keith Elliott (the man in the photograph above) was cared for at Our Children’s Home as a boy and later returned to work there as a handyman.
Memories of Ardill House are recalled by John Edmonds as part of the North Strathfield Neighbourhood Stories exhibition at Concord Library, 2-31 March 2013.