The Mortlake – Putney Vehicular Ferry, commonly known as the Mortlake Punt*, is one of the few remaining car-carrying ferries operating in New South Wales and the only one in the metropolitan area. Over the years most punts have been replaced by bridges.
When it opened in May 1928, the Mortlake Punt provided an important link for workers travelling to the AGL (Australian Gas Light Company) works at Mortlake. The background scene of the 1988 photograph, above, has changed dramatically as the AGL site has been redeveloped for housing.
Another punt operated at Rhodes beween Blaxland Road, Rhodes and Meadowbank from the nineteenth century until 1935.
Posted on February 13, 2013, in Mortlake, Rhodes and tagged Canada bay Connections, City of Canada Bay, ferries, ferry, Mortlake, Mortlake-Putney Vehicular Ferry, Parramatta River, punt. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.