Making a splash
Cabarita has long been a recreational spot for residents.
In 1923, council provided a shark netted swimming pool at the northern end of Cabarita Park. This was superseded when the Concord-Cabarita Coronation Baths were opened on the 27 November, 1937. In the first month of its operation some 30,000 people made use of the facilities with adults paying three pence and children a penny. It has, of course, since been refurbished and improved to meet the present needs of the community and today is known as the Cabarita Swimming Centre.
City of Canada Bay Museum currently has a display ‘Cabarita, then and now’ which highlights the way the area has changed over the years. The display includes photographs recently donated by Kay Dawson that were taken by her grandfather. The photograph above shows the original pool in 1923.