150 years of policing
This year marks the 150th anniversary of the New South Wales Police Force. In 1862 the various independent police units throughout New South Wales were combined under the Police Regulation Act to form the New South Wales Police.
A Police Station was established at Five Dock in 1876 initially with a strength of one foot constable. The Drummoyne Police Station was established in 1891 and had a strength of two foot constables.
The photograph shows the Five Dock Police Station, Great North Road in the early 1900s. The station served as the home for the officer in charge whose family can be seen in the photograph. It was also the State Electoral Office. The station was located near present-day Fred Kelly Place and has since been demolished.