Parramatta Road looked more like a country road in 1900, about the time this photograph was taken.
The photograph shows Parramatta Road at the ‘7 mile post’, near Five Dock. Milestones were situated at one mile intervals along the Parramatta Road showing the distances to Sydney and Parramatta.
In 1942, Australia was under threat of invasion and the New South Wales Premier directed that all the distances be removed from the milestones along the main roads so as to confuse an invading Imperial Japanese Army. After the War the milestones were re carved.
A rare survival of one of the early milestones with the mileage shown in Roman numerals can be seen on the grounds of Concord Library at Flavelle Street, Concord. It was removed prior to World War II from the intersection of Parramatta Road and Mosely Street, Strathfield.