‘Flora’ is a work by Welsh born sculptor William Lorando Jones (1819-1893) who emigrated to Australia in 1854.
The sculpture represents the Roman goddess of flowers and is believed to have been commissioned by Sir James Martin, Chief Justice of New South Wales, and located at his residence Clarens at Rushcutters Bay. It was later purchased by William Wright (1807-1889) for his home Drummoyne House where it appropriately overlooked the extensive gardens which Wright established around the house. Sir Henry Parkes later ordered a replica of the sculpture ‘Flora’ from Jones for the Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney.
Drummoyne House, from which the suburb of Drummoyne takes its name, was demolished in 1971. Today the sculpture ‘Flora’ is preserved at the City of Canada Bay Civic Centre.