The property that gave the suburb its name, Drummoyne House, was built for successful merchant and trader William Wright (1807-1889). Wright made a fortune trading in New Zealand kauri gum, a natural resin used commercially to make furniture varnish. In 1856 he retired and about this time built Drummoyne House, named after a family estate in the west of Scotland. The name is derived from Scots Gaelic, ‘drum’ meaning ‘a ridge’ and ‘moyne’ meaning ‘a plain or marshy flat’.
The first subdivisions of the Drummoyne Estate occurred in 1882 with further subdivisions being made after Wright’s death in 1889. In successive years the house passed through a number of hands including the Hordern family, owners of one of Sydney’s best known department stores. In the 1920s it was owned by John and Anita McDonagh. Their daughters Isabel, Phyllis and Paulette formed a film company and used Drummoyne House as a set for some of their feature movies.
By 1971 the grand days of Drummoyne House had passed and it had been subdivided into flats. The Five Dock Recorder, 1 April 1971, reported its demolition with the headline ‘Making way for progress! Drummoyne House now only memory.’