Russell Lea Manor, also known as Russell Lea House, was the home of Russell Barton (1830-1916), and was situated north of Lyons Road between Sibbick Street and Lyons Road.
The house was built between 1878 and 1882. Between 1918 and 1923 it was used by the Red Cross as a Nerve Hospital for soldiers before being demolished in 1925.
The painting by Val Delawarr shows Russell Lea in its heyday in the 1880s when the area was still semi-rural.
The suburb of Russell Lea takes its name from this grand home. More images can be seen on flickr.